Monday, July 14, 2008

Eighteen Days Remaining

I am in the midst of my last finals here in Cologne and need a break from studying; a random post on the blog I am hoping will help me recharge.

According to the calendar my days on this European sabbatical are counted; only 18 days separate me from this wonderful experience and real life. I am actually looking forward to coming back, going back to work and enjoying the rest of the summer in Minnesota. Besides the obvious reasons like seeing my girlfriend, family and friends, I am a bit homesick for other parts of my life in Minnesota as well. Here are some:

1) My mistress Jessica - calm down, it's just the name I've given to my Ducati Monster. Since summers in Minnesota are short, riding my bike is definitely something I'd like to take advantage of once I am back.

2) The lakes - Cologne has a river and nice parks, but running or roller-blading around the lakes in Minneapolis is so much more fun.

3) Dinner at Pancho Villa (or El Loro). I am craving good Mexican food, who would have thought about it? I mean I am about to go to Paris for a few days and eat at nice cafes and then go to Italy for 10 days of awesome cuisine; but I do like my fajitas and quesedillas.

4) Sports. Now I know I am a huge soccer fan and when I am in the US I do everything possible to find live broadcasts of the Italian Serie A and the Champions League; but I really cannot wait for the NFL season to begin and the 2nd half of the MLB...hopefully Twinkies will keep up the good play when I get back.

5) $4/gallon gas...I am obviously joking, not really looking forward to that but it could be worse; I think it's about 1.5 Euros/liter here in Germany which would amount to about $9/gallon.

Before I can get back home, two exams separate me from enjoying the rest of my time on the old continent. They are both retailing classes, which have been very interesting especially since now I can finally understand when Tricia says: "our instocks are green this week and there were no major issues at the DCs, plus all the classes are running well against planned..."...it was all Greek to me before :).
I am going to be officially done with school on Wednesday, July 16th at 3:30pm. Then I am off to Paris on Friday till Monday. A quick return to Cologne (one day) and then it's 10 days in sunny (as opposed to garbage filled) Naples with family and childhood friends.

No comments: